• Want us to call you?

    When can we call you?

    Please enter your name
    Your name must contain some letters
    Please enter a contact number
    Please enter a valid contact number
    Please select a reason
    Please select a suitable date
    Please select a suitable time

    Thank you {{CallMeBack.Fullname}}

    We have received your details and will contact you.
  • Want to chat?

    Please enter your name
    Name must contain some letters
    Please enter a valid email

    Want to chat?

    We're not in the office right now. Please leave your details here and we'll call you back.
    {{item.value}}
    Agent
    {{item.displayName}}
    typing...
    This chat session is no longer active.
    Please enter a message
    Max length limited to 500 characters

    Respond to keep active. Disconnecting in {{chatmeControl.ChatMe.userTimeOut}} seconds.

    We have not received a response from you in a while. Please respond to keep the chat active. You will be disconnected in {{chatmeControl.ChatMe.userTimeOut}} seconds.

Fireproof your home

Tuesday, June 09, 2015

The drop in temperature directly influences the increase of fires in South Africa. The leading causes of domestic fires are fire places, gas leakage, heaters, electric blankets and burning candles, the risk of which will increase as a result of load shedding. Prevention is better than, a very traumatic and expensive, cure. Follow our tips for fireproofing your house this winter.

  1. Check your fire extinguisher:
    Make sure that you have at least one fire extinguisher in your home. If you can, it’s ideal to have one in every room, especially near fireplaces and in the kitchen. Have all your old fire extinguishers checked by an expert to make sure that they are full and in working order.

  2. Keep your eye on the candle:
    With looming electricity cuts, candles are gaining a renewed popularity. Be careful with candles, never leave a room where a candle is burning, not even for a minute, because in that minute the candle can get knocked over by wind, a child or a pet.

  3. The heat is on:
    The same as in the case of candles- always turn your electrical heater off when you leave a room. Make sure that your heater is not placed near flammable materials such as curtains or bedding.

  4. Stay in the kitchen when cooking:
    Don’t leave the kitchen while you are busy cooking, especially when the recipe involves oil or grease. When a grease fire does break out, do not try to extinguish it with water, use a lid to cover the flames and to deprive it of oxygen. Never ever leave your stove or oven on when leaving the house and don’t place any metal in your microwave. If a fire starts in your microwave, keep the door of the microwave closed so that the fire is smothered.

  5. For the record:
    Take pictures of all your belongings and keep receipts of expensive purchases. This will be a blessing in the unfortunate event of a fire in your home and you have to claim from your insurance.

 

Be warm this winter, but don’t be a fool. Common sense is king when it comes to fire prevention. Fire damage is covered under your home contents policy, make sure that you read the policy book and know exactly what is covered and what is not.