Fire Precaution for Your Home
The idea of your property setting alight is not a fun prospect to consider, but it is a highly likely one. Houses catching on fire is a real problem in South Africa, with the issue costing citizens millions in damages.
According to the Fire Protection Association, in 2014 alone over 10 000 homes were damaged by fires, costing a combined excess of R600 million! Problematic indeed, but the issue is not completely unrepairable. Although the home or property could have been destroyed by a fire, the actual value of the asset could be saved if home insurance (building and contents) policy existed prior to the incident. There are also various ways in which almost anyone can improve the overall safety and fire prevention of the home using these simple few methods.
Install Smoke Alarms
One of the best ways to stay on top of a situation and prevent ablaze is to stop the fire before it spreads. That’s where smoke alarms come in handy. These nifty little devices sense smoke in the air and set off an alarm, warning occupants of a potential fire.
Anyone can purchase these smoke alarms at various hardware stores across South Africa and either install them using a bit of DIY and elbow grease or pay a professional to install it.
Do Home Inspections
House fires commonly occur from electrical issues. When was the last time you checked if your home has a valid electrical certificate? If not, it’s best you contact a certified electrician and have them conduct an electrical inspection of your home. This electrical certificate will also be required if you wish to take out a home insurance policy at almost any insurance company in South Africa.
Close the Gas
The benefits of a gas cooker are almost endless. They heat up pans quickly, they are cost-effective and, in some people’s view, they are elegant additions to any home. However, they also require a little attentiveness.
If you are using a gas cooker or gas-operated items, such as a heater or boiler, make sure you always handle the machine with the utmost of care and close the valve once you are done.
Don’t Place Metal Items Inside Microwaves
Might seem common to some, but it’s something to mention at any given opportunity. Metal items, such as a knife or even cellphone, can cause the microwave to explode, literally explode!
Store Electronic Equipment in Shade
Any item inside your home that operates using electricity, more specifically a battery, needs to be kept out of direct sunlight and stored in a cool, dry place. Leaving something like your phone or laptop exposed to sunlight could cause the battery or processor to overheat and spontaneously combust.
There are many other ways to protect your home against fire and other accidents, and we would love to hear some of them. If you have any advice or tips you would love to share, please do so! If you simply want to protect your asset’s value, you can request a home insurance quote online with us or by calling us on 0861 007 367 today.
Dialdirect is an authorised FSP and Insurer T’s and C’s online